There’s nothing like another birthday to cause you to reflect on your life – what’s been and done, what is and what you would still like to do/achieve.
Now you can either become totally despondent about the fact that you are getting older, that the grey hairs seem to have multiplied over the past year, that your joints appear to be stiffer than they were 12 months ago, that your rounder curves have started attracting comments from your family like: “oo, there’s more of you to love!!” (yeah, right!!), that your memory is not as sharp as it used be (now when was it that I was ‘boasting’ about the fact that I would never forget anybody’s name?) …. and I could go on ad infinitum!!
While there are thousands who claim not to (want to) celebrate/commemorate/remember their birthdays anymore (maybe for the reasons I mentioned earlier – and for others), I have decided to embrace this new year of my life with immense gratitude to God for blessings every day – including good health, a sound mind, a roof over my head, family and friends – and for all others to whom I matter and who matter enormously to me.
On the internet once I came across someone called “Kate” who had written about something quite novel and which you may want to consider doing for your next birthday:- “creating a BIRTHDAY TIME CAPSULE” …. answering a series of questions in a letter to yourself that you can put into an envelope and then open at some time in the future; you can decide how far into the future you want to do this – maybe 1 year, 5 or even 10 years; you then seal the letter and put it away for safekeeping and in 1 year, 5 or 10 years you will have something to look forward to reading on your birthday (DV)!
Here are some ideas for the questions you may want to answer in your letter:-
- Where are you now?
- What is the date?
- What do you wish you could own right now?
- What do you want your next vacation to be?
- What are you most worried about?
- What is one amazing thing you expect to do in the coming year?
- What is your favorite recent memory?
- What made you laugh the hardest most recently?
- What are you best at?
- What were the top 3 accomplishments from the last year?
- What are your life goals at the moment?
- What do you think you will be doing next year this time or in 5 or 10 years (DV) from now?
- What is the one piece of advice you would give your future self?
- What is your purpose in life?
Try it … you’ve got nothing to lose – but much insight to gain.